If it’s time to make a change, choosing the right path can be confusing. The end of any relationship can be overwhelming, but it’s even more confusing when looking into the best way to get it done. When you need to move on with your life, it’s a good idea to hire a lawyer to help determine if annulment or divorce is right for you.
What’s the Difference Between Divorce and an Annulment?
Not many people understand the difference between a divorce and an annulment. Both options are best handled by attorneys to ensure they are done right and keep your best interests in mind.
The process to end a marriage in divorce can be simple as there doesn’t have to be any single person or event that led to ending a marriage. Most states allow couples to divorce without fault for either party. You simply acknowledge that you were married, and both of you wanted to end it.
An annulment is more complicated than divorce, but it allows both parties to part ways without acknowledging that they were once married. This is especially beneficial to those who want to avoid property division and custody conflicts. The catch to this option is that you have to be able to prove that you have grounds for an annulment.
What Are the Grounds for Annulment?
If you’re hoping to have your marriage annulled, you have to show at least one of the following:
- There was fraud or deception when entering into marriage.
- Consummation never happened or can’t happen.
- If the union resulted from a dare, stunt, or joke.
- A marriage is between two related family members.
- When either party has multiple spouses.
- If anyone was coerced or forced into marriage.
- That those involved were underage and did not have permission to get married.
- The married parties were not mentally capable of making a sound decision, whether due to drugs, alcohol, disability, or other impairment.
Hiring a lawyer is the best way to ensure a marriage is annulled legally. A lawyer is well worth the money to take your mistake and erase it as if it had never happened.
Hire a Lawyer Experienced in Annulments and Divorce
Each state has laws regarding divorce and annulment, and hiring a lawyer can help steer you through the process. They can also help with:
- Understanding if an annulment or divorce is the best choice for you
- Knowing what your options are as far as any division of property
- File every required document while helping you to understand what each one means
- Accompanying you to court should you need to appear for any reason
The right lawyer can also help you navigate any religious avenues you want to explore to pursue an annulment. The church will often decide a marriage’s validity independently. Still, a lawyer may be able to help you with providing paperwork and other supportive measures during the religious annulment process.
What Does a Marriage Annulment Cost?
An attorney that handles annulments can cost several hundred to a few thousand dollars. The lawyer’s billing, filing, court, and other miscellaneous charges are included. The best way to get an idea about the potential cost is to contact a lawyer and set up a consultation to assess your situation.
Remember that a religious annulment comes with fees separate from your civil annulment fees. Contact your diocese if this option is essential to you.
A good lawyer can guide and explain what each step and piece of paperwork means before you sign it. They can also help you to avoid additional fees.
When You Need an Annulment Lawyer in Tavares, FL
When you hire a family law firm like KJ Law PA, you’ll have someone who has mastered the processes of annulments and divorces in your corner. You’ll also get compassionate and effective representation every step of the way. Call 352-735-4342 or contact them using their online form today.
Categorised in: Divorce Lawyers